Negotiable with experience
Permanent Part Time
October 2, 2018
Part Time Experienced Teacher Aide for EnkindleVillage School
Enkindle Village School is the first democratic school in North Queensland. It is unique in design, co-located on the James Cook University Douglas campus, Townsville, and will have an ongoing collaboration with the University’s College of Arts, Society and Education. The school’s vision is that all children have the ability to be capable and free-thinking contributors of their world when offered a voice and choice in learning; incorporating our key values of autonomy, liberty, joy, connection and innovation.
At Enkindle Village School our philosophy of education is founded on democratic principles, with the belief that people affected by a decision should have a voice in that decision. At our school children are encouraged to explore their interests at their own pace, in their own way. We facilitate the development of independence and self-management, working closely with children and families to create a place where everyone feels heard and understood.
The school will be small by design with fluid and flexible multi-age classrooms. Over the next few years our School will be slowly growing in size. We plan to follow our first cohort all the way through to Year 12, adding an additional 15 students each year as we go. As part of our philosophy to give students a more individualised learning experience, we also plan to increase our number of Teachers and keep our ratios low.
This is an exciting opportunity to be involved from the grass roots of the first democratic school in the region.
· As an experienced teacher aide you will have a passion for child-centered education and provide support to the classroom teachers in fostering a democratic learning environment for our students.
· You will assist the school towards its intended direction and strive to incorporate the school’s core values in all areas.
· Able to get your hands dirty, bringing joy and energy to the classroom (and by classroom we mean patch of grass under the trees!).
· Develop and maintain relationships within the community, parents and other staff.
· Genuinely finds joy supporting children’s growth and discoveries.
· Values the importance of community in child development.
· Has a passion for democratic education and attaining the philosophy of the school.
· A rich and varied life experience would be looked upon favourably.
· Patient, compassionate and understanding.
· Appreciates the interconnectedness of all things and the importance of all relationships.
· Creativity is essential with the desire to progress education.
· Honesty, integrity and transparency is vital in all dealings.
· Ability to work within the team, and proven interpersonal skills.
· Demonstrated ability to promote flexibility with students; and to provide encouragement for students to explore their passions and interests.
· Enthusiastic about the exciting challenge that lies ahead, and are prepared to embark on thisjourney with initiative, creativity and ability to think outside the box.
Remuneration will be within award and negotiated on the applicant’s experience.
· Appropriate Qualification in EducationSupport (Certificate III, IV or Diploma)
· Must have appropriate Working With Children Checks
· Enkindle Village School has a commitment to safe and supportive work practices and candidates will be subject to a police check, referee checks, identification verification and the requirement to disclose any information relevant to the candidates’ eligibility to engage in activities including children.
Please include in your application:
· Covering letter identifying how you meet the role requirements
· Names, phone number and email of three professional referees